An information resource for and about
trans* people in the Province of Alberta


With the exception of federal facilities, First Nations reserves, federal government departments, correctional facilities, border services, etc, most human rights situations will be governed provincially.

The Province of Alberta does not have explicit human rights protections for trans* people in the Alberta Human Rights Act. However, the Alberta Human Rights Commission does consider them to be read into the legislation under the category of Gender.

If you experience discrimination specifically because you are trans* and are wondering if you should approach the AHRC about it, please refer to their Frequently Asked Questions. The complaint form and guide options include a fillable PDF, print or large print versions (they do not, however, recommend sending the file as an email attachment).

In the case of federally-governed facilities, departments or organizations, the situation is very similar: trans* people do not yet have specific inclusion in the Canada Human Rights Act, but are considered to be read in under the category of sex by the Canadian Human Rights Commission.


Name changes are governed federally but processed through Vital Statistics, via provincial registries, and can be done at any time. There is a processing fee, and the new name must contain a first and last name using English characters (it cannot contain numbers, non-letter characters and/or profanity, but may contain the a period, hyphen, or apostrophe). There are some additional limitations. Valid ID is required, and fingerprinting must be done (note that this is the case for all name changes, and not specifically for trans* people). The name change fee is currently $120, and the fingerprint filing fee may vary depending on the police or RCMP detachment where it is done. The form does not appear to be online, currently, but can be obtained at a provincial registry office.

If you need to replace a lost legal name change certificate, it can be ordered from Service Alberta.

The birth record can now be changed with a single affidavit from the applicant and a letter from an accredited physician or psychologist (gender specialist) -- surgery is not required, but certain conditions must be met. The amendment form and info can be found at Service Alberta.

Info on driver's license changes can be found elsewhere at Service Alberta.

It is recommended that a person update their Social Insurance Number record, but it's currently unclear if changing policies mean that it can be amended with the evidence of a changed birth certificate or driver's license, or if evidence of surgery is still required. Even though the SIN card does not have a gender marker, the record does, and it is possible to be outted to employers / potential employers, credit bureaus and institutions that reference a SIN record.

Human Rights & Identification Changes
©2015. was launched in 2007 and is a volunteer-run project.
What is Trans*?
Gender Diversity
Human Rights and ID Issues
The Transition Process in Alberta
Facts About Youth
Info for Media
Info for Medical Professionals.jpg
The ATo Library